Monday, February 7, 2011

Sae Hae Bok Maneeeeee Badesaeyo!!

Annyonghaseyo!

So apparently, when I write in Korean it just comes up as a little box? hmm. Thank you everybody for the bountiful replies that I received (pun intended..for those of you from bountiful-Zach). However much I hate to NOT say snarkle, I can't say Snarkle, sayD B. For everybody else that doesn't know what I'm talking about, Saydee wanted me to write Snarkle if I could receive emails from friends, and I didn't really know how to go about not saying it and letting you know that...I can't receive emails from friends-which completely crushes me to tell you all that. But, it is allowed for me to send you this email..just not individual ones. I hope that you'll all still write me hand written letters, but I understand that it is expensive and time consuming.

Sooo, it was Chinese/Korean New Year!! ...this is going to shock mom..but this is the first year I think that I haven't eaten Dukguk on New Years :( haha. Oh the irony! The first year that I'm in Korea for new years, I don't actually eat the one meal that you are supposed to eat on New Years in order to fully celebrate and grow one year older. Its okay, I ate a lot of bulgogi. Oh, and I got to eat with Jeongweon and Weongeon's family!!!! Asa!! It was so crazy to see them. and they just kept laughing at me everytime I tried to speak Korean or eat Korean food. We ate Shabushabu. They almost made me eat Sun-dae. eeee. I was very afraid. It was a blessing that they called during this week--when we had virtually nothing to do! We weren't really allowed to proselyte much, and when we did, we couldn't push in any way if it seemed like they didn't want to be talked to...which in Korea..most people generally don't want to be stopped on the street to be contacted. So..we had lots of free time :) That is neat that you talked to that lady that is in my ward mom--Misoon..I think her name is. I met somebody else that knows you. There seems to be a growing misconception around the missionaries that everywhere we go--somebody knows Sister Cutler's family. But mom, I want to tell you that everytime I tell somebody that my mom is Choi Soonyoung-If they know you- they all get the same look on their face. I don't know how to explain it other than, you can tell that they are so happy to hear your name, and that just the mention of your name immediately opens them up and then they talk and tell me everything they remember about you-and from the small amount that I can understand-it is always beautiful things. I can't remember or find the names of the two ladies that I met, while eating at their house-but one of them was the missionary that Imo trained..she was very happy to hear about you. And her mother in law said that she was in the ward when Abe and Golden's mom died, and she said that she remembered you very well coming to take care of the kids. She got baptized right around the time when you came to take care of them she said.They told me that you are wonderful lady. It is amazing to be on my mission doing this work, and being able to learn more about you, mom, as I am doing it. I wrote down their names, even though they said that you probaly wouldn't remember them-but you can ask Imo about the misisonary that she trained, and then went to gwangju with. They were very very good to me, and their Korean food tasted just like yours ^_^ There is another lady, you don't know her-but she is very kind to me, and she feeds us sometimes. Her daughter is serving at Temple square-Seulgi Kim. I was in the MTC with her, and she became a very good friend. If you ever time, you should stop by temple square and find her and take her a little Korean treat-I promise that she will be soo soo happy, and it would mean a lot to me, since her mom is very kind to me.
So besides going to tons and tons of meals at members houses for the new years, and not eating dukguk, I played soccer!! ee! I forgot how much fun it is to play. Oh, would you like to know the Korean foods that I've eaten? You'll think that I'm not even your daughter anymore when I tell you! I ate Kimchi Chigae, so much kimchi everyday, I ate a whole shrimp with the claws and head and eyes and brain. weongeun gave it to me. and I ate a lot of other things. Oh, I ate the pig spine soup thing? I don't know, it was okay. I definitely wouldn't have eaten it at home, but i ate it! Ohhhhh, but at a ward dinner we had the other night, the old ladies kept trying to give me hot Odang in water--what the?? Why do Koreans like to drink hot fish balogne water? I can't help but think of Lindsay off of Arrested Development with her hot ham water. That is mine and Sister Warner's code name for the hot Fish water. mmm. somehow, I didn't ever have to drink it, because the lady next to me loved it so much she kept drinking mine haha. She is an angel.
I'd like to leave you with something spiritual before I end this email, so I will tell you about what I studied today during personal study. I started off wanting to study the presence of God, or the privilege of seeing God, more specifcally. Somewho I ended up in D&C 88:63, and I really like when it says, "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you.." and also this week, I have been studying a lot about justification and restoration of things. And I'v realized that as much as you put out, that is how much you'll get back. If I half heartedly go about teaching lessons and talking to people, then I will get a very half hearted response. Anyways, so then I ended up reading further into 67, and it talks about your eye being single tohe glory of God, and then your whole body shall be full of light. I've thought a lot about that scripture, and what I realized today was that..we see things with our eyes. Clearly, I know that this seems very =duh. But, I realized that I see people, places, trees, mountains, and all sorts of things with my eyes. If I start looking at things, and seeing the glory of God in all people, and places, and things--then this is also a way that I can begin to fill my body with light. Nobody seems scary to talk to you when you see them with the Glory of God. Everybody just seems amazing! And you just want to be with, and love, and talk to everybody. Anyways. So I don't have much more time-that was just something little I learned this morning.
Welp, looks like it is about time for me to go. I am going to try to attach some pictures..I don't ow if it will work. But I will try. I can't wait to hear from you all again, and I hope that everybody is doing very well. I'm proud of whoever has read this far into my letter. I am aware that these can get kind of..lengthy. So Kamsahamnida.

Saranghaeyo, Cutler Chamae

No comments: